Our attention spans are really, really short and getting shorter.
- When they first started measuring them in 2003 people’s average attention span on a screen was two and a half minutes.
- In 2012 it was 75 seconds.
- In the last 5 years it has been averaging 47 seconds.
- Many years ago, it was common to see 60 second commercials and they went down to 30 seconds and then 15 seconds. Now, it’s not uncommon to see six second commercials.
- Personality is a factor as is whether we are more distractable than others.
The Fix: Stay engaged and stay challenged, it’s hard to lose focus when these two conditions are present and as a bonus when you need the attention of another do the same – keep them engaged and challenged.
Recent Day Starters: